The majority of the Boulstridge entries in the Polesworth registers actually relate to Dordon which did not become a parish in it's own right until 1877. Dordon was not even mentioned in Dugdale's "Towns and Villages in the County of Warwick" whereas Hall End,( by Dordon) and Warton warranted a paragraph each. Polesworth had a Michaelmas Hiring Fair and a study of the Poor Law records at Ratcliffe Culey and Sheepy Magna reveals that many from this area attended to gain agricultural employment.
By the end of the 19th century the area had built up rapidly due to the expansion of the mining industry. Dordon itself spread from it's original centre to meet Watling Street, the main road from Atherstone to Tamworth, and the Hamlet of Hall End. Virtually surrounded by pits there was plenty of work keeping the Boulstridge families in the area well into the twentieth century. Today little shows of the heyday of the mining industry save a landscaped pit mound on the site of the Birch Coppice 1 & 2 pits. The late Victorian terraces however still survive in large numbers either side of Long Street, Dordon mainly now a dormitory for nearby Tamworth and Atherstone
The first Bolstridge to move permanently to Dordon was William, born 1805, son of James and Hannah Bolstridgeof Ratcliffe Culey. William was an agricultural labourer all his life although his three surviving sons all became miners and remained in the area all their lives. William's elder brother Thomas had moved to nearby Hurley Common and his eldest son James also settled at Dordon employed in the mining industry. All of William's daughters married miners and many of them lived within a few doors of each other. Although the Boulstridge variation had been seen in other areas intermittently Dordon and the surrounding area was the first place it became firmly established.
The Polesworth society have an interesting website well worth a visit see here .
Copyright © Martyn Parsons. All rights reserved.
Please read my site conventions and rules